Friday, 13 January 2012

In search of of a Lua compiler

So, recently I decided to start doing some Lua programming on an old macbook I dug out of the cupboard during my bi-monthly tidy-a-thon. Big mistake.

I decided to opt for tools that I already use in my day job, so installed the mac version of Eclipse and then started looking around for a decent pluging and compiler for it. First of all I looked at the sponsored plug-in, Koneki, but that turned out to be an utter pain to install and then refused to allow the creation of a simple Lua project. Next I looked at LuaEclipse, which showed real promise...


.. that is until you find out that you still need to install the core binaries of Lua in order to get the interpreter to work. Syntax highlighting and project creation? All there. Ability to run the script you've created? No, no, no - you need this extra bit on top to work.

Now I liked the way LuaEclipse was a quick install and worked pretty well, so I started looking into how to get the Lua binaries and build myself the interpreter. Again another big mistake. Turns out I need to install XCode and a few other bits and bobs before I can even create the Lua program. I did find a decent tutorial on how to install it all (once I have XCode) but that will have to wait until I get XCode.

So in a fit of rage I closed the macbook and went back to my PC, where it was all readily available online. I will try again another day.

Still, at least I'm using the Moai lua cloud space to store a chunk of what I'm working on, so I can use both development computers when the time comes.

So, here, have a picture of a cute kitten to brighten your day after reading this.


No comments:

Post a Comment